Fall brings many fun activities, one of several favorites being pumpkin carving! Whether you're doing it with family, friends, or solo, it can be a great way to celebrate October and Halloween. We’ve compiled a list of tips to help you pick out the perfect pumpkin for carving. We also created some printable stencils for caregivers for pumpkin carving patterns. Check out our tips and link to our patterns below!
Pumpkin Picking Tips:
1) Make sure the pumpkin has an even orange color throughout. Green or brown patches could indicate an over-ripe or under-ripe pumpkin.
2) Don’t carry your pumpkin by the stem, as this could cause the stem to break and you to drop and damage your perfect pumpkin.
3) Check to make sure the pumpkin has a thick, green stem that indicates it has been recently harvested. Pumpkins with longer stems are also easier to work with when carving since you can easily remove and replace the top by the stem after you carve the pumpkin out.
4) Look for a pumpkin with a smooth, firm surface without cuts or bruises for easier carving.
5) Make sure your pumpkin is ripe by knocking on it and listening for a hollow sound.
Pumpkin Carving Stencils: Click this link for a printable pumpkin carving instruction and stencil package: http://bit.ly/KindcarePumpkinCarving